Sunday, October 3, 2010

A quick Veg Pulao - coz I'm too busy learning to crochet!

So this week I finally went and got the stuff I need to learn to crochet (hook, yarn - not a very long list!) and spent hours on-line watching videos and downloading 'how-to' guides. So with my new-found desire to crochet and going to work everyday, I haven't had much time for cooking.

I've still had time to take Coco for walks, and sit quietly in the garden watching her explore. I've seen 6 different types of butterfly all brightly coloured like someone splashed paint all over them. I've seen the owl, swooping low, silently flying along my road in the wee hours. I've had time to read sections of the 3 different books I've got on the go at the minute. I've also had time to start my new blog - Claire's Crochet Quest! :)


Recently I've definitely been in a rice mood, which is quite unusual for me. So several times this week I've resorted to variations on this dish - Vegetable Pulao. It's really simple to make in the pressure cooker. So here goes...

Vegetable Pulao

1 tablespoon Oil / Ghee
1 teaspoon jeera (cumin) seeds
1" piece cinnamon stick
2 laung (cloves)
2 elaichi (cardamom) pods
2 black peppercorns
a few curry leaves
1 carrot, finely chopped, length-ways
1 handful french beans, chopped into 1.5cm pieces
1 potato, copped into small cubes
1 handful peas (fresh or frozen - I prefer to use fresh, but can't get any at the moment)
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 green chilli, halved and deseeded
1/4 teaspoon haldi (turmeric)
1 teaspoon chilli powder
salt to taste
1 cup basmati rice, washed and soaked for an hour
360 ml water
fresh coriander leaves for garnishing

1. heat oil / ghee in the pressure cooker. Add jeera, cinnamon, laung, elaichi, peppercorns & curry leaves. Fry until jeera splutters.
2. Add carrot, french beans, potato and peas and cook for a few mins, stirring every now and then.
3. Add ginger paste and green chilli and cook for a few minutes more.
4. Add haldi, chilli powder, salt, rice and water. Mix well.
5. Pop the lid on the pressure cooker and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave to cool until the pressure releases.
6. Open and serve with coriander

And it smells soooooo good when you open the lid - especially if you use ghee.
You can make this without a pressure cooker, but it'll need more water and more cooking time. Obviously you can put different veggies in too. It's good with cauliflower, and onion comes out suprisingly good - sweet and soft. If you're extra lazy, you can use pre-cut veg too!

Must dash... got more crochet to do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment