Sunday, October 17, 2010

Finger on the Pulse - Rajma Masala

I've been really busy this week being 'crafty'. I'm now into all sorts of stuff and re-learning to knit is next on my list! To check out all the crafty stuff I've been up to them take a sneek peek at my other website... see there's a link just over there on the right-hand side of my page... ok, if you're too lazy for that, then here's a special link to my other website for lazy people :D


So I'm still trying to deplete my stock of pulses, so Rajma Masala is next on my list. There's loads of fab recipes out there on the internet for Rajma Masala, and I know I found this somewhere out there, but it was one of the first recipes I wrote down in my recipe book, and now I have no idea at all where it came from. It's tasty though! If you recognise the recipe, please let me know where you've seen it before (although I'm guessing that most recipes for Rajma will be quite similar!).


Rajma Masala:

1/2 cup Rajma (red kidney beans), soaked overnight
1 tablespoon oil
1 bay leaf
2 black cardamom
2 onions, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 teaspoon garlic paste
1 green chilli, slit and de-seeded
2 large tomatoes, pureed
1/2 teaspoon dhaniya
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1/4 teaspoon haldi
1/4 teaspoon jeera
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon rajma masala powder
salt to taste
fresh coriander to garnish

1. In the pressure cooker, cook the Rajma using a couple of cups of fresh water - takes 6/7 whistles. Keep aside to cool.
2. Heat the oil over a medium heat and add the bay leaf and cardamom. Stir briefly then add the onions. Saute until golden.
3. Add the ginger and garlic paste and green chilli and continue to saute for a few minutes.
4. Add the tomato puree and cook down for around 8 mins or so.
5. Add all the spices (dhaniya, chilli, haldi, jeera, garam masala and rajma masala) and salt. Stir well and allow to cook through for 3-4 minutes.
6. Add the rajma and the water they were cooked in. You don't have to use it all, or you can add more fresh water if you need to!
7. Cook covered for around 15 minutes - the rajma should be soft and easily mashed with the back of a spoon - and do just that to some of them, as this helps to thicken the gravy.
8. Serve garnished with coriander.

If you're feeling decedent you can also add a swirl of cream!

Eat with fresh, plain rice... yummy Rajma-Chawal :P (that's me licking my lips!)

I wonder what other dishes I can find to make with dal or pulses.... hhhhmmmmmm, looks like I'll spend sometime searching the web today!

No comments:

Post a Comment