Sunday, October 10, 2010

Lentils and Pulses... are they breeding? (Chana Dal)

One thing about living in India is the amazing range of vegetarian dishes that are on offer. For many families all over India many meals consist of rice, dal, chappati and a vegetable sabzi. Lentils and pulses feature in many dishes so I've bought them as needed for a dish.

And I swear they're now breeding. They seem to have taken over so many tubs in my kitchen that I find it difficult to find a tub to put anything else in. In fact, I've bought two extra sets of tubs, still not to have any spare when I really need one!

I have rajma, chana dal, kabuli chana, vatana, urad dal, tur dal, moong dal, moong beans, chawli and others... The thing with dried pulses is that quite often you have to soak them overnight... which means being organised and prepared. Even when I really fancy a pulse-y dish and don't have any soaked, I still don't soak them so I can make the dish tomorrow - I'm useless!

So in an attempt to use up some of my pulse collection, I've been looking up recipes. One I've come across is Spicy Chana Dal, cooked by a really sweet woman on YouTube! Added bonus - it seems pretty simple to cook. Her name's Madhura and you can see her video here.


Her written recipe doesn't match the video, so I've replicated the recipe here. I hope it's good, coz it's gonna be my dinner tonight!

Madhura's Spicy Chana Dal:

1 cup chana dal
2 cups water
1 tablespoon oil
1 teaspoon rai (mustard seeds)
1 teaspoon jeera (cumin seeds)
a few cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon chilli powder
salt to taste
1 teaspoon sugar
coriander leaves to garnish

1. Wash the chana dal then soak in 2 cups of water for 2 hours. Do not discard the water, it will be used to cook the dal.
2. In a pressure cooker, heat the oil. Once hot add the rai and jeera and allow to crackle.
3. Add onions and garlic and saute until golden
4. Add garam masala and chilli powder and saute until oil separates. This will take a few minutes.
5. Add chana dal, soaking water and salt. Mix then pressure cook for 4 whistles.
6. Reduce the heat and continue to cook for 10 minutes (to make sure the chana dal is properly cooked).
7. Turn off the heat and allow to cool, so no pressure remains.
8. Add sugar and stir through allowing to dissolve.
9. Serve with chopped coriander to garnish.


I'm looking forward to trying Madhura's recipe :)

***Edit: I tried it, and it was YUMMY! But mine turned completely to mush. When I make this again, I'll just cook for 4 whistles and then check it out before deciding whether to cook further... you live and learn! :D

I don't just spend my time cooking, I'm also learing to crochet, which I'm loving! You can check out my crocheting exploits at Claire' Crochet Quest. I do spend a little time every Sunday putting together my posts for my blogs.

I'm also into journalling - I always liked the idea of keeping a diary when I was younger, but journalling is more me and Janel has kickstarted my journalling through her 30 day challenge and Leigh-Ann has some great journalling tips.

I also spend time out walking my dog, enjoying the world go by. Let me interest you with a few photos of my morning...

Well, here's to a fab week ahead! LML

No comments:

Post a Comment