Sunday, September 5, 2010

Brain like a sieve - Aloo Bhaji

So last week I said that I'd probably make aloo bhaji for dinner. It didn't happen, and for the life of me, I can't remember why I didn't make it or what I did make in the end. This is not unusual for me. There are people that can remember every word that you ever said (this should be banned - it makes it really difficult to change your mind about anything, especially those things you say in your most irrational moments), then there are people like me, who can't can't remember anything a few minutes after it happened.

Not only do I have a sieve instead of a brain, but I'm also stupidly clumsy. I walk into corners of tables and desks; I trip over my own feet; I drop marker pens. Not only that, but like a four-year old kid I attract dirt, grazes, scrapes, cuts and bruises. I'll chop chilli then manage to rub it into my eye; I'll forget the rice on the stove (that reminds me...); I'll burn myself on the iron.

One of the best examples of my inner four-year old happened earlier this week, all I can say is that I'm lucky I travel to work in my own car, by myself. So I'm waiting at the traffic lights just before the turning I need to take to get to work when I look down. "Where are my buttons? Who's stolen my buttons?" What such silly thoughts go through our minds when we're confused! And then I realise, I've managed to pull my top on this morning inside out; it's the label that's been tickling my right arm.

How can this happen to a grown woman? Well I'm too lazy to undo my buttons on this blouse (why bother when you can pull it on and off over your head), and I got dressed in the dark. Anyway, I had a good laugh out loud at myself, causing the people in the next car to stare at me like I'm a maniac, which just made me laugh more. Luckily there were very few people around when I got to work...

Finally, mid-week I remembered my hankering for aloo bhaji, so tried out a recipe that I've got written in my book. Not sure where this recipe came from, I think from one of my friend's recipe books, but it's really quite tasty. I didn't make the puri to go with it, as I seem to be unable to make bread of any form, but really this is best eaten with puri, so I'll give you the recipe too, but be aware that it's untested! Instead I ate mine with chapatti, which I buy from the shop in the market because mine turn out like cardboard every time.


Puri Bhaji

Puri:
1 cup atta
salt to taste
1 tsp ghee
~1/4 cup water
oil for frying

1. Sift atta (flour) and add salt
2. Mix ghee into flour until it blends well
3. Add water and mix to form a dough
4. Knead with a greased hand to make it smooth
5. Cover and keep aside for 1/2 hour
6. Take a small ball of dough and roll out into a small circle - repeat
7. Deep fry in oil until golden
8. Remove and drain


Aloo Bhaji:
1 tablespoon oil
pinch of hing (asafoteida)
1/2 teaspoon rai (mustard seeds)
1 teaspoon urad dal
1 dried red chilli, broken (optional)
2 onions, chopped
2 green chillies, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ginger paste
4 potatoes, boiled, chopped and mushed a bit
1 tomato, chopped
1/4 teaspoon haldi (turmeric)
salt to taste
few curry leaves
1 cup water
coriander leaves for garnishing

1. Heat oil and fry hing, rai, urad dal and red chilli
2. When spluttering add onion, green chilli and ginger
3. When the onion is golden, add the potato, tomato, haldi, salt and curry leaves
4. Add some water (up to a cup), mix well and boil until all is cooked well
5. Serve topped with coriander

<3 Yummy!

I'm not so keen on lots of chilli, which is why I don't use the dried red chilli in this recipe.
I know the puris don't sound too difficult to make either, but neither do chapatti and I suck at them. Please can I borrow an indian mummy for a day or two? I promise I'll give her back!

Looking forward to more of my four-year old adventures this week... :D

2 comments:

  1. Hey I just made some last night ... originally made some chole bhature and then some aloo bhaji ... try this recipe for the puri ..http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/Recipe.aspx?RecipeId=909&Header=Khana%20Khazana&MenuId=63 ... its light and yummy and u can't go wrong.

    If u decide to give it a try let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll definitely have to try! I've made a couple of his recipes before and they usually turn out well :D

    ReplyDelete