Sunday, September 19, 2010

Beautiful day - Zumba-Rumba - Carrot and Cabbage subzi

It's been a beautiful day today, and days like this make me really want a large, shady balcony to sit out on. A place where I can write my blog, update my journal, surf the web, eat my lunch, enjoy a glass of fine wine, tend to my plants and watch the sunset. And I will make it happen. I don't know how yet, but I know I will.

So whilst I've been making both mine and Coco's food this afternoon, the tv's been playing away to itself, and I've now discovered 'Zumba'... No, not a new TV program... It's Guthy Renker's latest 'Product'! I love Guthy Renker and their tv advertising shows.


I'd never actually buy from one of these shows, but they really appeal to me - the mix of normal people and random z-list celebs coming together to sell a skin-care 'systeme' (that's pronounced 'sist - em', so it must be good, right?) or dance their way to losing half their body weight. Yes, Zumba is not an exercise routine, it's a fun dance 'systeme' that targets all three regions at once, using 'rhythm progression'.


So back to the food I've been making. I decided to use the rest of the cabbage I had, and mix it with carrot. It makes a yummy subzi, which is fab with chappati, or eaten alone.

Carrot & Cabbage subzi:


2 teaspoons oil
1 teaspoon rai (mustard seeds)
a pinch hing (asafoetida)
1 teaspoon ginger paste
1 small cabbage, chopped into quite small pieces
1 large carrot, use a veg peeler to peel into small ribbons, or chop into thin wafers
1/4 teaspoon haldi (turmeric) powder
1/4 teaspoon jeera (cumin) powder
1/4 teaspoon dhaniya (coriander) powder
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
Salt to taste
splash of water

1. Heat oil, add rai and hing, cook until spluttering
2. Add ginger paste and stir
3. Add carrot and cabbage, mix well and cook for a minute or so
4. Add haldi, jeera, dhaniya, chilli and salt, stir well
5. Cook until tender, covered, over a low flame. Add a splash of water if required.

Serve with chopped fresh coriander leaves, a spoon or two of fresh dahi/curd/yoghurt and eat with chapatti.


I think I need to try out a few more adventurous dishes, but simple cooking is good when you're short of time, which I am quite often!

Now I fancy going to the beach...may be next weekend. Instead I'm going to see if I can find some new recipes to try on this site I found whilst looking for pics - the kitchn :D

No comments:

Post a Comment