Sunday, August 1, 2010

My signature dish... I don't have one! Will Masala Rice do?

I love watching food programs. Nigella, Jamie, Kylie Kwong, Anthony Bourdain, Man versus Food, Rachel Allen's Bake, Hell's Kitchen... the list goes on. So this weekend I caught a couple of shows of Masterchef Austrailia. The concept's a little different of the Masterchef (UK) of my childhood, as there's pressure tests and cook offs now, I guess to satisfy the reality show generation. It's not good enough to just kick off the worst cooks every week, the viewing audience will get bored... we need some spice!

On one of the shows the 45 contestants had to cook up their signature dish... and they had some strange concoctions. Cheese and snail souffle was one that really didn't appeal to me (ok I'm veggie, but if I weren't I still wouldn't eat this). Another contestant dreamt up a wattleseed, avocado and chocolate mousse... which sounds good, except I have no idea what wattleseed is.

snails are for gardens, not eating
All of their creativity made me realise that I don't have a signature dish yet. I guess I'm just too new at this cooking malarky to have one. So why have I chosen Masala rice this week? Well it's probably the opposite of a signature dish. It's not posh and showy. You wouldn't serve it at a dinner party. It's plain and simple comfort food. And really quick to make if you use left over rice like I do.

Masala Rice:

Left over Basmati Rice
Enough Onion, Potato and Tomato for the rice
Enough oil to cook the onion potato and tomato
Some Rai and Jeera (Mustard and cumin seeds)
A green chilli or two, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
A little Haldi (Turmeric powder)
Some Dhaniya (Coriander powder) and Chilli Powder
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped, for garnishing

1. Finely chop the onion, potato and tomato. I slice the potato in really thin slices to speed up the cooking.
2. Heat the oil and add the rai and jeera.
3. When seed pop add the chilli, onion and potato. Cook on a low heat until nearly done.
4. Add the tomato, haldi, dhaniya and chilli. Add any salt at this point too.
5. When everything is well cooked, add the rice.
6. Mix well and heat the rice thoroughly.
7. Garnish with Coriander and serve

I usually eat this with curd and it's really yummy.

I know I've not been at all precise with the amounts, and that's because I never have the same amount of rice left when I make this, so I don't know the quantities myself! Just start off easy with the spices, you can add more if necessary, and remember to put less haldi than dhaniya and chilli powder. Sometimes I also use Jeera powder too. If you fancy you could even add some cloves or cinnamon stick for a different taste. Sometimes I make it without the tomato or potato, and it's just as good.

BTW... Wattleseed is the seed of the Acacia tree and when dried and ground it has rich coffee, chocolate and hazelnut aromas & flavours.

wattleseed

No comments:

Post a Comment