Sunday, August 22, 2010

Breakfast Smoothie - but equally good at any time of the day...

I tend to have the same thing for breakfast everyday for weeks or months at a time. Morning is not my optimum functioning period of the day. Last year it was bran flakes with berries or banana. The last few months have been wholenut peanut butter on wholemeal toast. Now I'm on oatmeal with banana. Coco has scrambled eggs and milk.

I found a great Nigella recipe recently, whilst re-reading my Nigella Express book. Simple and sooooooooo easy to make, like many of Nigella recipes, even first thing in the morning.

Nigella rocks
What also attracted me was that many of the ingredients are staples of my usual morning routine. Oh and the addition of chocolate! So naughty to have first thing in the morning. Actually Nigella's recipe listed chocolate Ovaltine which I don't have, so I substituted regular hot chocolate powder.

I also love the fact that the banana is used straight out of the freezer so you don't need any ice. To freeze the bananas, peel them, chop into four and pop in a freezer bag.

Banana-rama
Nigella's original - Go Get 'Em Smoothie

1 peeled banana cut into 4, from the freezer
150ml milk
1 tablespoon honey
4 teaspoons chocolate Ovaltine
1 teaspoon Camp coffee

Nigella also suggests replacing the coffee with a tablespoon of peanut butter... I'm going to try this soon - it sounds delicious.

My version used regular hot chocolate powder and 1/2 a teaspoon of coffee powder. I left out the honey as I don't like things too sweet. It was yummy!

You can check out other Nigella breakfast recipes on her website. Another favourite of mine is Mexican Scrambled Eggs, but I use chapatti instead of tortillas.

Leave a comment and let me know your favourite Nigella recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment