Sunday, December 11, 2011

MOH's favourite dish... Green Mung Bhaji

I can't believe that I've not done this recipe before now... In fact I thought that maybe I had blogged about it, but just deleted from my Blog folder on my laptop, so came online to check my own blog out. It turns out that I've been remiss and forgotten to blog this simple recipe after all.

So why does this recipe deserve blog space? Well it happens to be MOH's favourite. Also, due to time constraints recently, I've managed to turn it into a one pot recipe, which leaves me plenty of time to look after my wonderful doggy, Super-Coco, and her fantastic puppies, the Awesome Eightsome!




Yup, my days are filled with work, work, work and my nights are filled with two-week old pups and catering for their phenomenally hungry mum. All I seem to be cooking is food for Coco... Mangalore Rice and Toor Dal Khichidi with Dudhi, Carrot, French Beans, Cabbage, Capsicum and Boiled Chicken. Oatmeal for a snack! Boiled Eggs, bread and milk for breakfast. Supplemented with Bananas and Carrots, Doggie biscuits, chews and kibble. She's eating about twice the amount she normally does, and she's still sooooo skinny coz she's feeding 8 pups.



On top of all this cooking and feeding, there's a huge amount of cleaning that needs to be constantly done...partly coz Mumbai is naturally soooooooooooooooooooo dirty and partly due to the Awesome Eightsome. I'm very lucky to have MOH take care of most of the cleaning, but we've also got the washing machine on a lot more recently than normal!

In the past week I've discovered the joys of playing with simple photo-editing software too...I've been using Pixlr-o-matic and having a blast making cute puppy pics look even better (in my opinion). I do think I'm having a bit of a second childhood here, coz playing with this sort of thing is clearly for kids, right? Nevermind... whatever makes you happy!



So here we go...

Green Mung Bhaji

1 cup green mung beans
3 cups water
Salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp jeera seeds (cumin)
Pinch of hing (asafoetida)
1/4 tsp haldi (turmeric)
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp ginger paste
Few curry leaves
2 green chillis, slit
1 med tomato, chopped
Coriander leaves to garnish
Lime/Lemon juice to taste

1. Soak mung beans for ~4hrs. drain and rinse.
2. Pressure cook mung with 3 cups water and salt for 4-5 whistles. Turn off heat and allow pressure cooker to cool (~15 mins)
3. Heat oil in separate pan, add jeera and sizzle.
4. Add hing, haldi, curry leaves, ginger & garlic paste & green chillies. Cook for 30 seconds or so.
5. Add tomatoes and cook for 1 minute to soften, then add this spice mixture to the mung beans.
6. Add more water if necessary. Bring to the boil and simmer for a few minutes.
7. Check seasoning and add lime juice.
8. Serve garnished with coriander.

Eat with rice or chapatti. This should be quite a liquid dish, especially if eating with rice.

I mentioned that I've adapted this to become a one pot dish... Simple. Just do steps 3-5 first in the pressure cooker, then add the mung, water and salt and pressure cook. Once cooled, check water levels and seasoning and adjust accordingly.

I really miss Christmas in England. Last year felt quite Christmassy, because I lived in the middle of a Catholic neighbourhood and the streets and houses were lit-up, but this year I live in more of a Muslim and Hindu area. I'm going to head off now, and get back to decorating my house ready for Christmas.









No comments:

Post a Comment