Sunday, November 7, 2010

SOUP-ercalifragalistic Ex-PEA-alidocious

I'm feeling very autumnal, even though I live in Mumbai and the temperature is in the 30's (that's Celsius not Fahrenheit). So how come I'm feeling this way? Well, it was Diwali this week, and it fell at the same time as Guy Fawkes Day (or Bonfire Night as we called it when I was little). Diwali is the festival of light, so everyone lets off fireworks and crackers.

On Friday night there were four hours (yes, FOUR- from 8pm to midnight) of uninterrupted bangs, booms and flashes of spectacular colour in every direction I could see from my window. And it didn't end there - the fireworks continued more sporadically for several hours after that. And as I work up thirsty this morning around half-five, I could still here more booms and bangs.

So as I sat at my window watching the fantastic display, the smell of gun-powder transported me back 15 years or so (crickey - I'm old) to my university days, where me and my friends put on the college fireworks display one year. That night will always be with me as one of the most exhilarating times of my life - after the display ended and all the other students made their way to the Autumn dance, me and my friends went to a quiet room to let the adrenaline wear off!

We were later congratulated on holding one of the best fireworks displays in the history of the college - everyone seemed mightily impressed with 'that fantastic firework, you know, the big one that went off at ground level' (otherwise known as 'the huge rocket that should have exploded 20 meters or so up in the air, but got stuck in it's holder and showered us all with sparks' or 'OhmyGod-I'mgonnadieinanastyexplosion').

I'm glad we impressed!

So yes, I'm feeling very autumnal. And to me that means warming, yummy soup.

I have two soups that I love to make, that are both souper easy to make (sorry, couldn't help myself). One is a Pea and Basil soup and the other is Carrot, Squash and Parsnip soup.

Pea and Basil soup


4-5 handfuls of peas
Enough Vegetable stock to cover the peas and a little bit more
Couple of handfuls of fresh basil

1. Cook the peas in the vegetable stock.
2. Remove the peas from the stock to let them cool for a few minutes. Keep the stock warm.
3. Blend the peas and basil with a splash of stock, until smooth.
4. Add stock until until you get the desired consistency.
5. Season to taste and serve.

This soup is a gorgeous, bright-green colour, with a delicate flavour. It doesn't matter whether you use fresh or frozen peas, it's still yummy. If you can't get your hands on basil, then you can do a more decadent version using a couple of spoonfuls of pesto and you'll get much bigger flavours.


Carrot, Squash and Parsnip soup


2 carrots
2 parsnips
small squash
Enough Vegetable stock to cover the veg and a little bit more
cinnamon stick
1/4 teaspoon dhaniya (coriander) powder
1/4 teaspoon jeera (cumin) powder

1. Peel the carrots, parsnips and squash and cut into chunks.
2. Cook the veggies in the stock along with the spices until tender - this will take a good 15 mins or so.
3. Separate the veggies and stock and remove the cinnamon stick. Keep the stock warm.
4. Once the veggies have cooled for a few minutes, pop them into a blender with a splash of water and blend to a fine puree.
5. Add the stock slowly to get the desired consistency.
6. Season to taste and serve.

A proper warming soup. If you prefer a chunkier soup, then don't blend all the veggies - keep a few aside to add back in later. Sometimes I also add cooked chickpeas (kabuli channa) to the soup after it's blended, or I use other combinations of root vegetables.

Well, the booms and bangs of crackers are still sounding in my neighbourhood - so I wish a Happy Diwali to everyone :D

Have a great week!

2 comments:

  1. Quick question ... what veg. stock do u use? Do u make one from scratch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite is Marigold Foods Swiss Vegetable Bouillon - http://www.marigoldhealthfoods.com/
    But I've not seen it here and I don't have the patience to make stock from scratch, so I usually end up throwing a Maggi cube into stuff that needs a bit of a kick!

    ReplyDelete