Sunday, June 13, 2010

Cooking Rice (A visit from the Queen's personal Fire Brigade at Windsor Castle)

Let me start off with a disclaimer: My cooking skills are virtually zero.

So in my previous life (in England) about , I rented a flat from the Queen in the walls of Windsor Castle. For those of you that doubt such a thing is possible, I'm referring to a little flat above the Education Centre in St. Alban's Street - I'm sure you can find photos of it somewhere on the web.


A few years back, there was a big fire at Windsor Castle (not caused by my cooking), so all the apartments in the castle were linked to an internal (and silent) fire alarm system, monitored by HRH's own personal Fire Brigade.

So I decided one cold autumn night to make a nice hot meal (can't remember exactly what it was now) involving rice. I put the rice on the stove to cook and went to watch a bit of telly. Because watching rice cook is really quite boring. What happened next must have gone something like this:











Which lead to my front door nearly being broken down a several hunky firemen raced to save Windsor Castle from my cooking. Yes, I burnt the rice. So badly did I burn the rice that the whole kitchen was filled with thick smoke, several hunky firemen and one extremely embarrassed me.


I also had to throw that pot away as there were several inches of burnt, black rice stuck to the bottom of the pan that just wouldn't all come off even after much scrubbing.

You'd hope that I'd have learnt my lesson, right? Well I didn't. I still burn rice to this day - some 7 years later. Just not as badly. Except that once, about 6 months back...

Recipe: Rice
Ingredients:
Rice
Water
Salt to taste

Secret Ingredient:
Common sense

Method:
Do what it says on the packet.
Use your common sense and check on the rice regularly
Take it off the heat when done and before it bursts into flames
Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment